Society - Executive Board - Members of honour - Membership

The Society

The Society is called: “Verein fuer Altertumskunde und Heimatpflege Haltern e.V.” (“Haltern historical and antiquity association e.V." (short form: Haltern Society for Local History).

Our society was founded on November 10 th, 1899, on the initiative of the Haltern physician, Dr Alexander Conrads, as branch of the Westphaelian Antiquity Society in Muenster. Conrads was elected Chairman and remained so up to his death in 1940. Due to his contributions to archaeological research and his service to the city as a physician, Dr. Conrads was made citizen of honour of the town of Haltern on June 12 th, 1927.

The antiquity association was established due to the rich Roman heritage and finds in the area. Once founded the main objective of the socety was to establish a museum for the findings and the first Roman Germanic museum opened in 1907 as a society-own building on today's Kaernten place.

 

Das 1907 eröffnete Römermuseum des Vereins für Altertumskunde und Heimatpflege e.V. am heutigen Kärtener Platz in Haltern am See

At that time the society had both an antiquity and a local history & culture departement. This structure remained into the 1960s.

Briefly before the outbreak of World War II (June 1939) the museum passed into the ownership of the city of Haltern. This was due to the political pressure on all non-“NSDAP”-societies during the Third Reich.

In March 1945 the museum was completely destroyed by bombing during an air raid. The surviving exhibits of the museum were kept in storage and exhibited only occasionally. Up to the end of the 1970's there was a strong desire to establish a new "Roman Museum" but financially this was not possible for the society.

Under the chairmanship of Heinz W. Prohl in the early 1980s discussion around the building of a new Roman Museum started to gain direction. Paul Chruscz, member of the culture committee of the Landschaftsverband Westfalen-Lippe (LWL - “The Regional Association of Westphalia-Lippe”), was a driving force for a new museum. Plans and models were provided for a new museum and discussed with various political committees in the country. For finacial reasons neither our society nor the city of Haltern am See could run or finance the new museum, thus both donations for the new museum had to be collected, and a managing organization had to be found.

At the end of the discussions the building of a new museum was certain and the discussions with the Regional Association of Westphalia-Lippe were fruitful. On 7 May 1990 the first sod of land for the Westphaelian Roman museum was cut The museum was sited in a historical location, at the edge of the former Roman field camp (Feldlager).

In 1991 on initiative of our society the “Verein der Freunde und Foerderer des Westfaelischen Roemermuseums Haltern e.V“ ("Association of Friends and Sponsors of the Westphalian Roman Museum Haltern e.V", ) was founded. This new association was endowed with sufficient financial means to take up its work of promoting and supporting the new museum, and linked to our society – the “Verein fuer Altertumskunde und Heimatpflege e.V.” – in its statute.

On November 25 th, 1993 the new Westfalian Roman Museum was opened under the management of the Regional Association of Westphalia-Lippe. In 2007 the museum was re-named: LWL-Römermuseum.

 

LWL Römermuseum, Haltern am See, Weseler Straße

In accordance with its statues the: “Verein fuer Altertumskunde und Heimatpflege Haltern e.V.” exclusively pursues non-profit activities; these are primarily the support and promotion of the scientific local history research, antiquity and art history research, and the care and preservation of local monuments and historical sites in Haltern am See main activities.

As part of its research work the society publishes several series of books – for topics and availability see publications.

 

 

Society - Executive Board - Members of honour - Membership

Membership

The "Verein fuer Altertumskunde und Heimatpflege Haltern e.V." operates exclusive and directly for non-profit purposes in in accordance with its statute. You can become a member and work with us to support, preserve and promote the cultural life of our city.

Membership dues amount to 18 Euro for the year, or 24 Euro for a couple. Membership also allows you to attend the society’s annual general meeting and dinner after the meeting.

The form to apply for membership is found here

 

Donations

You can support our work by making a donation. The “Verein fuer Altertumskunde und Heimatpflege Haltern e.V.” is a non-profit organization exclusively in accordance with its statute. A relevant tax certificate will be completed and sent-out to you directly after receipt of your donation.

 

Bank account: Stadtsparkasse Haltern - Bank code (BLZ): 426 513 15 – Account No.:6338

BIC: WELA DED 1 HAT

IBAN: DE90 426 513 15 0000 006 338

Society - Executive Board - Members of honour - Membership

 

Executive Board (19.04.2015)

Franz Schrief (Chairman)

Heerstr. 15 - 45721 Haltern am See

Bernhard E. Köster (Assistant Chairman)

Marlies Breuer (Secretary)

Werner Wiens (Treasurer)

 

Steering Comitee

Johannes Beckmann, Gerd Böhmer, Hendrik Griesbach, Franz-Josef Kalfues, Ursula Kelders, Illa Schaefer, Dieter Zagefka

Society - Executive Board - Members of honour - Membership

 

 

 

Our Members of honour

Professor Dr. Alexander Conze,
10.12.1901, Director of the Skulpurenmuseum and Secretary-General of the Archaeological Institute, Berlin; Honoury citizen of the city of Haltern since 12.08.1907
Professor Dr. Friedrich Koepp

University of Muenster

Prof. Dr. Carl Schuchhardt
Leiter des Kestner-Museums Hannover, Mitglied der Preußischen Akademie der Wissenschaften, (*1859, +1943)
Prof. Dr. Emil Ritterling
Leiter des Landesmuseums Wiesbaden, 1911-1914 Direktor der Römisch-Germanischen Kommission in Frankfurt, (*1861, +1928)
Otto Dahm
Oberstleutnant a.D.; Sassnitz, Streckenkommissar der Reichs-Limes-Kommission am Obergermanischen Limes, Entdecker des Kastells Niederberg
Geh. Baurat Franz Biermann
Kreisbauinspektor und Geheimer Baurat in Paderborn, ab 1906 Regierungsbaumeister
Freiherr von der Recke von der Horst
Münster, 1895-1899 Preußischer Innenminister, 1899-1911 Oberpräsident der Provinz Westfalen, (*1847, +1911)
Conrad von Studt
1889-1899 Oberpräsident der Provinz Westfalen, 1899-1907 Preußischer Kultusminister, (*1838, +1921)
Dr. Friedrich Phiippi
Historiker, Archivrat am Staatsarchiv Münster, 1897-1903 Vorsitzender und Geschäftsführer der Altertumskommission für Westfalen (*1853,+1930)
Johann Heinrich Schmedding
Münster, Baurat
Prof. Dr. Emil Krüger
Direktor des Provinzialmuseums Trier (heute Rheinisches Landesmuseum Trier), (*1869, +1954)
Prof. Dr. Hans Dragendorff
1902 Direktor der Römisch-Germanischen Kommission in Frankfurt, 1911-1922 Direktor des Deutsche Archäologischen Instituts, (*1870, +1941)
Prof. Dr. Georg Loeschcke
1913, Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhelms Universität Bonn, Mitglied der Reichs-Limes-Kommission und der Preußischen Akademie der Wissenschaften, (*1852, +1915)
Dr. Siegfried Loeschcke
Abteilungsdirektor am Landesmuseum in Trier, Doktorand z.Zt. der Ausgrabungen in Haltern, (*1883, +1956)

Prof. August Kuemmel

1916, Barmen

Dr. August Stieren
1955, Vorsitzender der Altertumskommission für Westfalen, Münster, (*1885, +1970)
Dr. Johann-Sebastian Kühlborn
Archäologe, langjähriger Leiter des provinzialrömischen Fachreferates im Amt für Bodendenkmalpflege in Münster (am 09.12.2008)