Haltern 1933 - 1945
Haltern’s historc importance first became clear through the attempt of the Romans to integrate Germany (east of the Rhine) into the Roman Empire. Under Drusus and Tiberius, Roman fortresses were established in the area of the today's city “Haltern am See” (Haltern at the lake) from 12 BC onwards. Among these were camps on the Annaberg (St. Anna mountain), camps north of today's Weseler Strasse (Wesel road), naval bases on the banks of the river Lippe and a camp north east of todays city center..
The following illustration is taken from our societies publication "Römisch-Germanisches Museum Haltern", Haltern 1983:
Situation of the Roman camps in the area of the today's city Haltern am See. The location of the today's “LWL-Römermuseum Haltern” is marked by the brown point.
Following Varus ' defeat by the allied germanic tribes in the " Battle in the Teutoburg forest ", Rome gave up its plan to conquer Germania east of the Rhine. The Romans vacated the camps between Rhine and Weser and withdrew behind the river Rhine. (see also: Livius.org .)
Analyses of the soil yielded evidence that today's city of Haltern was inhabited after the Romans left. The first written evidence for human settlement in the area is dated 758, when Sythen is mentioned during Pippins’ war against Saxonia. A century later, the area was christianized and became part of the German Empire. (Lipp -) Ramsdorf is mentioned as being under the possession of the Werden/Ruhr monastery. In 1077, the "Heberolle" (census of the population) of the monastery reports that a "Hof in Sythen" (homestead in Sythen) was given to the church of Padaborn. A further 100 years later (1166), a monastry (Praemonstratenserinnenkloster) is established in Flaesheim.
In 1289, the first walls and towers were erected around the city of Haltern. The Bishop of Muenster (Everhard von Diest) awarded the " Wiegboldrecht" (small municipal law) to the city. A weekly market day is established to be held "for all times".
In winter 1569/70, a flood which lasted several months shifted the banks of the river Lippe some 100m southward. Because of this, the former Roman naval bases are no longer on the banks of the Lippe today.
The city walls and towers were completed in the 16th century and destroyed again during the "30 years war".
A drawing of Haltern dates from this time (Halteren in the Stift Münster, Wenzel Hollar , * 1607, +1677).
Between 1756 and 1763 during the seven years war Haltern suffered under French and German troops. A French map shows the situation at the river banks.
After repeated destruction of the city walls they were finally levelled after the "7 years war" (1767). Today, only a remainder "Siebenteufelsturm" (seven devils tower) in the west of the city centre exists.
At the beginning 19th century after the dissolution of the religious territories, Haltern belonged to a variety of different regional powers: To the Duke of Croy (1802), the duke of Ahrensberg (1806), the Empire of France (1810), and from 1815 to the middle of the 20th century to Prussia.
The map shows the 4 boroughs of the city at the beginning of the 19th century:
City map of Haltern at the beginning 19. Century
First, the city of Haltern belonged to the district of Münster/Westphalia, and from 1816 it belonged to the district of Coesfeld. 1837, the separation of the city of Haltern from the "Kirchspiel Haltern" took place. Little villages around Haltern were organized in the "Kirchspiel" The three "Kirchspiele Haltern" (Lavesum, Holtwick and Sythen), Hullern and Lippramsdorf were combined into a "Landbuergermeisterei" (county mayorship), 1843 to the "Amt Haltern ".
1929, the city of Haltern and the Amt Haltern were assigned to belong to the district of Recklinghausen.
Haltern and the THIRD REICH
The last administrative re-organization took place January 1st, 1975: The city of Haltern was combined with the Amt Haltern and with the municipalities Kirchspiel Haltern (Holtwick, Lavesum and Sythen), Flasheim, Hullern, Lippramsdorf (parts), Hamm Bossendorf (parts of the municipality Hamm).